Sunday, June 2, 2019

What I Learned From Having A Dog.



When navigating through life it’s easy to get caught up in material things. As humans, we are born and bred to succeed at all cost. As you get older and make (hopefully) more money it’s easy to get caught up in only YOUR world. That changes for the better when you adopt a pet. Having a dog has taught me to slow down and experience life.

Sometimes at the end of the day, I get home and my dog wants to go out. Dogs don’t “get” you’re tired when you come home from work. Sometimes I silently pray he does it fast so I can chill out but even on the worst days his energy is contagious. For dogs, going out is more than a potty run; its social time. For my dog he wants to know what humans are outside; what butts are worth sniffing; what wonderful smells linger in the bowls of New York. Having a dog makes you more social-rather you like it or not. For the first time in my life, I actually know and talk to most of my neighbors. My dog will demand attention and if you don’t give it he will bark at you  (I’m more known to pant when I don’t’ get attention)

Having a little person in your life makes everything complete. Some people compare having a pet to having children and I agree. When you have an adorable living thing that depends on you, needs you to feed it, needs you to kiss his bruise or has something stuck in his paw, your outlook is so different, as is your life. This little breathing thing needs you to live, and after a while you need them to live.

Sometimes sitting at work I wonder if my dog is ok. If I’m at a bar too long and the evening is dragging on I think of my little fellow waiting for me, and I have to say unless you’re in your early 20s-you’d rather be home with your pup, than a dark bar with high priced drinks and watered down looking people.

In my years on this earth, I’ve been a bunch of different people, from poor kid to semi-successful grown-up. The best role I feel proud of is the joy my heart feels every-time I see my dog asleep on my lap. No amount of money, friends, material things or accomplishments will ever matter as much as the true love I get from my dog. We all seem to be fighting for something better in life and when we get it we’re faced with the big question, “Now what?” When you raise a pet you have a tremendous feeling of accomplishment and all you had to do was look beyond yourself. Me-me-me becomes him-him-him or her-her-her.

Hudson Taylor and Dante
My dog has become so famous, he has his own Facebook page Dante Taylor) I became the parent I always said I would never become, and I could never be happier.

No matter what happens to me in life; rather I’m rich or poor, strong or weak, my dog will remain the same towards me, and I will be his owner in name, but really coiled to him until he or I die.

No comments:

Post a Comment