Sunday, February 3, 2013

New Season of Smash, Better Then Ambien: 1 Out of 4 Stars.


For those of you who have a spring in their step and are awaiting the return of “Smash” I guess you won’t be disappointed. Like last year, “Smash” centers around the people putting on a Broadway show about Marilyn Monroe.

The second season fines the show still all crash and burn with few highlights. The best part I found about the first three episodes were the exterior scenes of New York; at least I could look at something when people we’re talking gibberish.

One thing that boiled my potatoes about the first season of “Smash” was having such young women play Marilyn; it would have been more believable if they were a little older. At times when Megan Hilty and Katharine McPhee are painted up, they resemble a drag queens first crack at playing dress-up and not lead actresses of a supposed play about a superstar.

Debra Messing is back and continues to wear the ugliest clothes ever made; somebody take this girl to Dress Barn.

Having not been successful with selling her music (her last CD came and went like a pimple) Jennifer Hudson continues to get acting roles (why I don’t know) and ads little to the show except when she sings (Hudson blows anyone off the screen when she sings) Hudson; who I hear from a spy is hated by the crew because she’s such a diva on set; I guess I can’t blame her; if I had a great voice like Hudson’s and got stuck on a snore fest like “Smash” I would be a bitch too.

I could describe what happens on the second season but the storyline is so confusing and the celebrity guest stars keep popping up like a rival of “The Love Boat.” So if you like amateur dinner theatre, this is the show for you; if you’re looking for more from a singing show, even THIS season of “Glee” is better than the second season of “Smash.”

UPDATE: The two hour season premiere of Smash scored a series low 1.1 adults 18-49 rating down a staggering 71 percent from a 3.8 for the series premiere on February 6, 2012 (following The Voice) and down 39 percent from a 1.8 for the first season finale on May 14. In other words a really bad flop.

There are a lot of tatented people who act and work on the show, and I wish them well when this show ends.


"Smash" airs Tuesday night on NBC.